当前位置:主页 > 要闻 >

EU Aims for Agreement in Principle Instead of Detailed Deal with U.S. Ahead ...

时间:2025-07-04 14:44:19

  TMTPOST -- Head of the top executive body of the European Union suggested on Thursday the bloc now aims to reach a brief trade agreement instead of a detailed one as U.S. President Donald Trump’s July 9 deadline for higher reciprocal tariffs looms.

  
 

  Credit:Xinhua News Agency

  The EU and U.S. are aiming first for a less detailed trade “agreement in principle” as a final trade deal is “impossible” ahead of July 9, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen told at a press conference.

  “It’s a huge task because we have the largest trade volume globally between the EU and the United States, €1.5tn [annually] — very complex and a huge quantity,” von der Leyen said. She continued: ”What we are aiming at is an agreement in principle, because in such a volume in 90 days, an agreement in detail is impossible.”

  Von der Leyen noted Britain, which became the first U.S. trading partner that stuck a trade deal before July 9, had also agreed an agreement in principle with America. “As far as I am informed there are only two countries so far that have concluded with an agreement in principle,” she said, referring to Britain and Vietnam.

  Trump on Wednesday announced on his social media platform Truth Social that he made a trade deal with Vietnam, and the two sides agreed that U.S. would impose 20% tariffs on all goods imported from Vietnam and 40% tariffs on “any Transshipping.” Vietnam’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said Thursday that trade negotiators are still coordinating with their US counterparts to finalize the details of the deal, not providing further details.

  Signs on Thursday showed U.S. and EU officials are closer to a trade deal though it may be a sketchy one outlining the key parts to address major concerns. The EU is on the brink of a high-level “framework” trade deal to avert 50% tariffs on EU imports imposed by the Trump administration beyond July 9, Guardian reported on Thursday. It cited on EU diplomat that European officials expected a deal “if not this week then before Wednesday [July 9]”, because it was “in everybody’s interest.”

  The U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent indicated a deal was possible after meeting the EU’s trade chief. European Trade Commissioner Maros Sefcovic on Thursday in Washington. He said “We’ll see what we can do with the EU”, and on the eve of 4 July celebrations that the US was “going to see a lot more trade deals”.

  Bessent said U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer will be “working diligently over the weekend” with European officials after he and Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick met with Sefcovic on Thursday.

  The Guardian reported that the EU was willing to accept Trump’s 10% blanket tariffs, which is the only thing the European negotiators would like to accept, in exchange for an extension in talks and possible concessions on a 25% auto tariff. Sefcovic was said to seek a standstill clause to provide guarantees that the US can stand over that there would be no imposition of new tariffs in any extension period.

  The EU will probably accept a 10% universal levies but wanted to get cuts to tariffs on individual sectors such as steel and auto and parts, the Financial Times learned from EU diplomats on Thursday. The British newspapaer on Tuesday reported the European capitals are insisting the U.S. rolls back its tariffs on the EU immediately as part of any framework deal ahead of the July 9 deadline. Sefcovic has been reportedly instructed to take a tougher line on his trip on Washington this week as Brussels attempts to remove or at least cut Trumps levies in the long term, per the report.

  It was reported on Tuesday that top U.S. trade officials were seeking phased deals with the most engaged countries by July 9, and countries agree on such deals would be spared steeper reciprocal tariffs, but left with an existing 10% baseline levy while talks on thornier issues continue.

  The FT report on Tuesday echoed the report. It cited EU officials that the U.S. has signaled to Brussels that the most likely first-stage agreement is a Britain-style phased one that remains some existing tariffs while talks continue. However, ambassadors from EU member states on Monday asked Sefcovic to insist any such deal includes reductions in the current 10% baseline reciprocal tariffs from July 9, and they also demanded reductions to higher levies on individual sectors.

热点推荐
1 沉睡比特币钱包在八年后突然转移3.83亿美

消息,据Arkham数据,沉睡了八年的比特币钱包近日突然转移了价值约3.83亿美元的比特币。该地...

2 MGBX将上线BANKUSDT、AKEUSDT永续合约

消息,MGBX将于2026年7月20日18:00正式上线BANKUSDT和AKEUSDT永续合约交易对,以满足广大交易者的需...

3 CryptoQuant分析师:长期持有者目前仍处于

消息,据CryptoQuant分析师Darkfost表示,长期持有者目前仍处于亏损状态。根据SOPR指标,长期持有...

4 比特币维持在64000美元附近,油价创一个

消息,比特币在周一维持在约64000美元附近,受到油价因战争上涨的影响,同时股市仍在消化...

5 里海管道联盟:油轮遭袭石油装载暂停

消息,里海管道联盟表示,油轮在终端遭到袭击,导致石油装载暂停。此外,阿塞拜疆能源部...

6 Ansem买入PUMP,交易员0xbf73开设10倍做多仓

消息,据Lookonchain监测,Ansem用1500枚SOL买入价值11.5万美元的PUMP后,交易员0xbf73开设10倍做多7...

7 OKX公布第四十五次资产储备证明

消息,吴说获悉,OKX公布第四十五次资产储备证明,快照日期为7月7日。用户BTC资产约为12.8万...

8 MUFG:油价反弹施压亚洲货币,印度卢比受

消息,据MUFG报告,油价反弹正在对亚洲货币施加压力,印度卢比受到严重影响。MUFG指出,中东...

9 Allbridge暂停跨链桥服务,因遭遇165万美元

消息,Allbridge宣布暂停其跨链桥服务,原因是遭遇了一起165万美元的攻击。攻击者allegedly利用...

10 2022年熊市中该分红ETF下跌6%

消息,ProShares SP 500 Dividend Aristocrats ETF在2022年熊市中下跌了6%,而标准普尔500指数则下跌了19...

成都来彰科技 蜀ICP备2025134723号-1

资讯来源互联网,如有版权问题请联系管理员删除。